Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 2011 Daring Baker - Fraisiers!


Jana of Cherry Tea Cakes was our July Daring Bakers’ host and she challenges us to make Fresh Frasiers inspired by recipes written by Elisabeth M. Prueitt and Chad Robertson in the beautiful cookbook Tartine.

All right, so I have a confession to make. I actually didn't know the name of this dessert until the daring baker challenge, but that's part of the fun, right?

I loved this recipe. The cake came out tasty and moist, and the pastry cream was great! I really need a lot of gelatin practice, and this gave me a great test to do it.

As you can see from my photo, I didn't read the directions all the way through. I wanted to do individual sized desserts, convinced the cake wouldn't hold up much. Well, I didn't really realize that the dessert was supposed to be all put together then refrigerated. So, I did it a bit backwards...but I loved the result!

I'm not going to repost the recipe here, just tell you the modifications I made! I made almond cake by substituting almond extract for the vanilla extract (I used a little less than a teaspoon, since it can be quite strong).

For the pastry cream, I subbed out the milk and made it with coconut milk, and while I was heating this, I added 3 slices of ginger and 1/2 t. ground ginger for a ginger coconut pastry cream. And, I used nectarines. I wanted to use peaches, but *sigh* I live in the North West, and the produce here this year has, so far, been incredibly disappointing!

The dessert was fantastic, the flavors worked well together, and I promise next time I will take more time on the challenge. I've just been in a bit of a blogging funk, I think. I have entire lists of things I want to make and recipes I want to try...but I also want to diet! Well, I *have* to diet. I promised myself no new clothing until I lose at least 2 sizes, and my clothes are starting to have holes! So, if I don't diet soon, I could be running around the house sort of exposed...

If you want to give this recipe a try, you can download the .pdf here. In the mean time, check out all the other daring bakers!

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of this dessert, but it sounds delicious! I love that you made the pastry cream with coconut milk! I do that all the time because I prefer the flavor and feel that it is healthier. Good luck with the diet ;)!

    ReplyDelete