Thursday, July 14, 2011

July 2011 Daring Cook - Home made Noodles!


Steph from Stephfood was our Daring Cooks‟ July hostess. Steph challenged us to make homemade noodles without the help of a motorized pasta machine. She provided us with recipes for Spätzle and Fresh Egg Pasta as well as a few delicious sauces to pair our noodles with!


I watched quite a few technique videos before trying this. I went with a small cutting board and a knife...well, the knife didn't work too well, but my bench scraper did!


Yum Yum noodles! I had visions, and still do (lol). But, we will save that for later. Because I also ran out of time... So, I decided to try Spaetzle. And, it's really good! It was the first time I've ever made them, or ever made a crumb "sauce" for the noodles. Oh, sure, I've made a topping for baked mac and cheese, but this was different...and really tasty.

I didn't use any fresh herbs. I guess I'm not much into herbs unless it's chopped into a salad. Whenever I buy fresh ones, I end up tossing them out a few weeks later, practically unused. I kept on threatening to get an herb garden this year, but it's been raining so much, I feel like I'm still in winter.

Anyway, back to the noodles. I just loved them. I followed the recipe fairly exact, except I used a bit of nutmeg in the noodles instead of fresh herbs. That, and all I had was Panko for the bread crumbs, so they were extra crispy.

Thank you Thank you Steph for such a great challenge. For the recipe, or for other truly inspired ideas, check out The Daring Kitchen!

2 comments:

  1. That looks great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made breadcrumb sauce and it sounds delicious :o)

    ReplyDelete