Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Peach Crisp Tart


I hadn't planned on posting today, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to share this delicious tart. In the Northwest, peaches are just starting to show up at grocery stores and farm stands. I had to take advantage. They looked so good. It took me a while to get a few that smelled as good as they looked, though. I think the effort was worth it.

I love peaches, and peach desserts. However, anyone that knows me knows that I just don't care much for heavily cooked fruits. I will eat, and love peach pie, but I prefer cobbler or crisps, since they aren't cooked as long. So that got me thinking - what would a tart taste like if the crust were made from similar ingredients to a crisp.

I still wanted the pie "goo" that comes with a nice fruit pie, though. To solve that, I created something similar on the stove top. The result? Beautiful fresh peaches topped with a not too sweet peach glaze, all sitting in a crunchy/chewy crust. I loved it, my family loved it, and I'm looking forward to making this again. After all, I did forget to put the chopped pecans in the crust (oops).

I also wanted to mention this tart comes together fairly quickly, you pat the crust in the pan and bake it, and while its baking, get the peaches ready. I wanted to eat it with ice cream, which I know will be fantastic, but it was so good on its own, I just enjoyed it that way.

For a printable recipe, click here.

Peach Crisp Tart

For the crust:

2/3 c. oatmeal

2/3 c. flour

1/3 c. brown sugar

½ t. cinnamon

Pinch salt

2 T. milk

4 T. butter, softened

For the filling:

3-4 ripe peaches, depending on size

2 T. cornstarch

2 T. water

Pinch salt

1/3 c. sugar

1 t. lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. To prepare crust, mix all ingredients together until well incorporated. This isn’t fragile like a pie dough, but be careful to not overmix – just combine until ingredients are mixed together. Pat into an 8” tart pan. You can use a spoon, but I used my fingers. Bake for 12-19 minutes, until lightly golden. Let cool while you make the filling.

For the filling: Cut one peach into small chunks and place in a sauce pan. Add sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Place saucepan over medium heat and mash the peach up, releasing its juices into the pan. Bring to a gentle boil. Mix cornstarch and water together, and slowly drizzle in the peach mixture, stirring the peach mixture the entire time, until desired consistency. If your peach wasn’t really juicy, you may not need all the cornstarch. Remove from heat and strain mixture, discarding peach skin and pulp.

Peel and slice remaining peaches, and place them in the peach cornstarch mixture. Its easiest to place them in the mixture as you are working. If you fold them in the mixture, it will prevent them from browning while you are working.

Layer peaches on prepared cooled crust, and gently spoon any remaining peach cornstarch mixture over peaches when finished. Serve warm.



3 comments:

  1. The tart looks yummy! I miss the lovely produce you get in the US. Peaches in Singapore are horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get enough peaches, we still have them here. Love how you put the oatmeal in the crust. Is it too early for dessert?
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to miss peaches the most when summer is over! This tart is just beautiful! : )

    ReplyDelete