Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Almond Thumbprints with Raspberry Curd Filling


I'm baacccckkk! Wow, that was quite a break, but I was busy, working on a contract I had been working on for a while. Combine that with a short trip, and there you go!



It's PinkTober! For those of you that don't know, PinkTober was created to raise awareness (and money) for breast cancer. I don't know of anyone that hasn't been touched in some way by breast cancer, so lets see what we can do to help reduce that number.

I created these cookies just for PinkTober. I was looking for something a bit different, and I think these do it. And, they taste so good! The raspberry curd is a little silky, a little tart, and a little sweet. The cookie has a little chew, a little crunch, and tastes fantastically of almonds.

I did struggle with what I was going to make, since I wanted something different. And, I will admit, raspberries aren't exactly pink. However, I did have quite a few raspberries in my freezer that I wanted to use, and I comforted myself by thinking that raspberries are so good for you, maybe we could just fake it a bit. Yes, I know, the butter and sugar pretty much cancel out the good raspberries, but its the thought that counts, right?

For a .pdf of the recipe, click here.

Almond Thumbprint Cookies with Raspberry Curd filling

For the curd (makes about 1 ½ cups):

1 1/2 cup raspberries, crushed

½ to 2/3 cup sugar

6 T. butter, softened

1 t. lemon juice

½ t. lemon zest

4 egg yolks

2 T. corn starch, dissolved in 1 T. water

¼ t. salt

In a large saucepan, add all ingredients except butter. Over medium heat, stir constantly, until mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. The consistency should be just a little thinner than pudding.

Remove from heat, and add the butter, one tablespoon at a time. After butter has melted into the curd, strain curd to remove any seeds and/or lumps. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

For the cookies (makes about 30):

3 cups almonds, toasted and chopped

1 2/3 c. flour

½ c. butter, softened

½ t. salt

1/2 t. almond extract

1 cup sugar

1 egg

Preheat oven to 350. In the bowl of a food processor, add 2 cups almonds, flour, salt, and sugar. Process until almonds are finely ground, but be careful to not process to a paste. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until well mixed.

Shape one tablespoon of dough into a ball. Roll in remaining chopped toasted almonds, lightly coating the outside. Place on a cookie sheet. You don’t need to worry about these spreading, they don’t spread much at all. Make an indentation in the middle of each cookie. I’ve found the best way to do this is with the top of a wooden spoon, or with a teaspoon.

Bake cookies for 9-12 minutes, until lightly brown. Remove from oven and let cool on the cookie sheet. After cool, fill the center with raspberry curd.






5 comments:

  1. Oh, my! I've never made raspberry curd..YUM! And it must have been a fabulous filling for your beautiful cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look awesome.... I looked at every store under the sun for raspberry curd to make these tarts for my son. Mostly because I was to lazy to make my own lol but you made yours which now makes me think it would have been easier just to make it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great comments!

    @S.V. - Yea, I make my own curd, but I have a secret - I freeze it. It freezes great - almost like freezer jam. I love to stir some in my morning yogurt.

    ReplyDelete