Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate "Double" Cookies


Sometimes I just can't make up my mind. Do I want chocolate chip cookies or peanut butter? Well, why not both? Yea, I'm overly ambitious like that sometimes.


I would like to say I came up with this idea by myself, but I didn't. Well, I enhanced an idea that fell into my lap. My SIL Fawn has been bit by coupon madness, and purchased a bunch of those cookies in a bag type things - the ones were you add a bit of water or an egg, and then bake. Sounds cool, right? Only problem with that is, she doesn't like the chocolate chip ones. So she put the dough for the chocolate chip on top of the peanut butter, and she loved it.

Once she told me about this, I had to try...but I wanted a bit of a twist, of course. I decided to make peanut butter thumbprint cookies, and then fill the thumbprint with chocolate chip cookies. So the cookies wouldn't necessarily melt together, but have two distinct cookie doughs baked together.
The result? Awesome. My peanut butter cookies spread a bit more than I would have liked, but that is simply because I didn't let them chill in the refrigerator long enough. And, yes, that cookie you see in the middle is a peanut butter cookie filled with raw cookie dough. I think the cookie monster would be proud.
A pdf of the recipe can be found here.

Double Cookies

Makes about 36, depending on size

Adapted from: Mom’s peanut butter cookie recipe, chocolate chip cookie recipe (which looks a lot like the Nestle one…), and Chocolate Krinkles

NOTE: I chose to use raw eggs in this batter, and take the slight risk that if I eat it raw, that may not be a good thing. If that is not for you, I suggest you stick to the baked version, or substitute 2 T. whole milk for the eggs, but that changes the texture of the baked cookie to crisper.


For the Peanut Butter dough:

2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg or 2 T. whole milk
2/3 c. creamy peanut butter

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugars, and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add soda, salt, and egg, and mix until well combined. Gradually stir in flour and chill dough for 5-6 hours or overnight.


For the Chocolate Chip Dough:

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1 t. soda

½ t. salt

1 cup unsalted butter, softened

1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed

½ c. granulated sugar

2 cups chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)

2 t. vanilla

1 egg or 2 T. whole milk

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg, salt, vanilla, and soda, and mix until well incorporated. Gradually incorporate flour and chill dough for 5-6 hours and overnight.

To assemble:

Premade and refrigerated cookie dough from above

1/3 c. sugar

Preheat oven to 350.

Form cookie dough into 1 ½ tablespoon balls. Roll in sugar. On a lined baking pan (line with parchment or a silicone pad), place cookie balls 1 ½ to 2 inches apart. Dip your thumb in sugar and form a well in the middle of the cookie to put your second flavor in. The easiest way I’ve found to do this is to gently move your thumb around the middle of the cookie, making the center larger, while moving your forefinger around the edge of the cookie to make sure it doesn’t crack. Place 1 teaspoon of your second dough in the middle of your cookie.

Bake cookies for 9-12 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from oven and let rest 5-10 minutes, then transfer them to a serving plate.

**If desired, you can leave the thumbprint empty and place uncooked cookie dough in the center (see previous information about eggs before you do).

1 comment:

  1. I think I like cookie dough even more than cookies! These sound amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete