Sunday, November 6, 2011

Playing with your food - canned biscuits version


So, my SIL and I have entered the dark side of couponing, trying to save money on our every day items. We've learned a lot, and this is some of the fruits of our, well, labor. No, I'm not going to turn this into a coupon blog, but I do like a challenge.

I was challenged to create some variations on canned crescent rolls and canned cinnamon rolls. While I will tell you what I did, the pro's and con's of each, I must admit - I still don't care much for the canned cinnamon rolls. There just isn't a lot you can do with them to take that processed taste out of the mix. And, while some may like that distinctive taste, I don't.

The Orange rolls, however, are a different story. They can make quite a few tasty treats!

First up, the cinnamon rolls, though. The first thing I thought of is how can I reshape them. Since I have been experimenting with cinnamon breadsticks (not very successfully, they are all too crunchy and lose that soft yumminess), I knew those were out. What is left? Well, rolling them out, of course.

But, since I'm all into time saving and the like (I'm lazy), I chose to smash 'em in my tortilla press. That was more fun, too. If you chose to do this, put them between two sheets of wax paper or parchment paper, or you will have a mess on your hands. One more tip - make sure they are tightly wound into cinnamon rolls before you do this - they have a tendency to not stay together.

The other tip is with the frosting - I frosted them with the frosting that came with the rolls. Since I wanted a glaze consistency, I popped it in the microwave for about 7 seconds and it became the perfect drizzle consistency.

So, what do you do with them after you are done smashing them? Well, here are some ideas:

1. Heat a medium non stick skillet, lightly brush it with oil, and fry the cinnamon disks to make cinnamon bread. My niece loved these, and since the cinnamon rolls tend to be a bit dry if you aren't careful, these didn't dry out. And, you get the caramelly bits of the cooked sugar.

2. Form them into a large muffin tin, after you have sprayed the muffin tin, of course. Then fill with a mixture of fresh sauteed apple, a bit of sugar, and a bit of cinnamon. Bake for 25 or so minutes at 350, until the apples are warm. Drizzle with glaze and serve. If you don't want to use a fresh apple, you can use apple or cherry pie filling.

3. Turn a normal size muffin tin upside down, spray the bottom with cooking spray, and drape each of the disks around the bottom of the muffin tin. Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes until lightly brown. Let cool completely, and use as little cinnamon roll cups. What to use as filling? Yogurt, apple sauce, or fresh fruit are all good choices.

4. Make sure the cinnamon disks are sealed, and use them for turnover dough. Some fillings I used are: 1/2 fun size snicker bar, 2 hershey kisses, fresh apples, or apple butter. They can each hold about 1 1/2 t. filling. Seal the edges together and bake for 15-18 minutes at 350, until lightly brown. Drizzle with icing.

With all of this experimenting, I have to say - the orange ones are really tasty as turnover batter. They were the first to go. What did I fill them with? Either 2 hershey kisses, or 1 1/2 t. raspberry all fruit preserves. Or, I did fill a few with 1 t. cream cheese, and they were really tasty. So, if you find yourself with some extra coupons for canned cinnamon rolls, get the orange ones and get creative.

Did I mention they were really fun to smash in my tortilla press? Yea, that was my favorite part.



Now on to crescent rolls. These are a bit easier, since they can be the base of a nice appetizer, and you can fill them with all sorts of cool stuff. I did get some of the newer crescent rounds, and they were fun to bake into little crescent cups and fill. Some if the fillings I used:

- An equal mixture of nutella and cream cheese
- Crushed Pineapple
- Yogurt
- Cook them with a funsize snicker bar in the middle.

Finally, I took some ordinary crescent rolls, and thought I would list my favorite sweet fillings for them:

- 2 t. all fruit preserves or fruit butter
- any fun size candy bar
- 2 caramel candies
- 2 hershey kisses
- 2 t. kaya
- 2 t. equal mix of nutella and cream cheese
- 2 t. pie filling

You can also dress them up a bit if you brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar before baking.

1 comment:

  1. This look really good for something that started with a can. I love difficult recipes made easy. This was my first visit to your site, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete