Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Leftover Idea - Cranberry White Chocolate Cheesecake



I hope that each of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. After a day delay, mine was great.

A little background - since I used to live in So. Cal, my family had their Thanksgiving on the Sunday before, and then my mom would fly down for Thanksgiving with me. Now that I have moved back to the Pacific North West, we still have Thanksgiving the Sunday before.

This year, we had a few scares that made us delay the celebration a day. My niece flipped her go kart while racing in her main. She was transported by the wonderful Raymond Fire Department to a local hospital, then transferred to Harborview. Luckily, the only injuries she sustained were a broken shoulder bone, cracked collar bone, and bruised lung.

While we were all dealing with this, and trying to support her parents through this, my SIL Kristie went to the local hospital with severe food poisoning. There is still part of me that finds it amazing she got food poisoning from a vegetarian burrito...and at my favorite fast food mexican place too! Luckily, again, she has fully recovered.

So, my number one thing to be thankful this year? Thankfully, none of my family is in the hospital, and should suffer no long term ill effects of this past week. I also learned I make a very poor burglar. I tried to break into my brothers house, and all I ended up with was 2 bruises and a wedgie...but that is another story.

Now on to the food! This little gem is perfect - its quick, easy, and tastes a little light, even though we all know its not. And the best part is it can be prepared with under 7 ingredients.

A word about the cranberry sauce used here - I make my own cranberry sauce - it's so easy, and so much better than what can be bought. It's really just cranberries, sugar, orange juice, and some flavorings...I put 1 lb of cranberries in a pan, add 1/3 c. water, juice of 2 oranges, rind of 1 orange, 2/3 to 1 cup sugar, 1 t. ginger, and 1 t. salt. Then I bring to boil, and cook until most of the cranberries have popped. I taste for sugar level, and add more if needed. Before serving, I take out the rind of the orange.

White Chocolate Cheesecake with Cranberry topping

3/4 cup cranberry sauce
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. sugar
1 T. vanilla
3 T. whipping cream
12 oz. white chocolate chips, melted, then cooled
20 vanilla wafer cookies

Prepare your pans - fill cupcake tins with a cupcake liner. Place one cookie in each liner. Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and whipping cream. Whip for 5-6 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add melted chocolate chips, and whip an additional 1-2 minutes. Place 2-3 T. on top of each cookie in your prepared tins. Chill. Before serving, place 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons cranberry relish on top. Serve Cold.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yum, I think this is the best recipe for cranberries ever!!! I love white chocolate cheesecake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I could lick this screen that looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This is just the type of dessert that I love, cream cheese and fruit! Great use for leftover cranberries :)!

    ReplyDelete