Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Grandma's Drop Cookies

I thought this would be a good time to remember the old favorites. Like that great old pair of sweats that eventually fell apart. Or that fleece blanket you cuddled into so many winters.

These cookies hold that kind of nostalgia for me, yet the first time I made them were for these pictures. But I remember them. I remember mom making them. I remember seeing this recipe in her recipe box, with a simple title of "Drop Cookies", with little to no instruction to make them. I remember grabbing a handful of these little cookies and tossing the gumdrops in the garbage so I could eat the cookies. I eat the gumdrops now, though.

One of the many reasons I started this blog was recipes like this. It was passed down from my Grandma (who I never met), to my Mom, and now to me. So, to say these are old fashioned would be an understatement. But, give them a try, they really are a nice little cookie. And, it reminds me of my roots.



The only instructions I received from my mom I will pass on to you - first, you have to use lard or shortening - no butter. Second, have some fat in the milk - non-fat milk doesn't cut it. And, finally, they really do need the raisins.

For a .pdf, click here.

Grandma’s Drop Cookies

¾ cup lard or shortening

2 cups brown sugar

2 eggs

¾ cup milk

1 cup raisins

3 cups flour

½ t. cinnamon

1 t. vanilla

½ c. chopped walnuts, optional

1 cup gum drops, sliced in half, optional

Preheat oven to 350.

In a medium bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and milk, and stir until well incorporated. Add flour, cinnamon, and vanilla and mix until combined. Fold in raisins and walnuts.

Grease or spray a cookie sheet, or line with a silpat or parchment paper. Drop cookies by the tablespoonful onto prepared cookie sheet. Leave about ½” space between each cookie, since they don’t spread much. Place a sliced gumdrop on top of each cookie and bake for 12 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet.

3 comments:

  1. first time in your space...n I absolutely loved it...these cookies are so tempting...I'm your new follower now...do visit my blog sometimes...wishing u n ur family a very happy new year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renae...what beautiful cookies! How awesome that you are honoring your grandmother with this recipe. I love gumdrops, but have never tried baking with them...so I'm very excited to try this recipe! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...sounds utterly yummmy..
    just found your space...love your space..
    nice presentation with great posts..
    Am your happy follower now..;)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete