Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Holiday Cookie Balls

I wanted to give everyone one last idea for Christmas. If you are finding yourself stumped for ideas for that holiday meal sweet ending, give these cookie balls a try.

By now, most of you have probably tasted the Oreo Truffles that seem to have been around the internet a lot this year. This is just 4 different options that use the same idea. The flavors are very nice - nutella, ginger, coconut, or peanut butter. Out of these, my very favorite is the ginger. They have a lot of ginger taste, and don't taste too sweet.

Since I really don't like tempering chocolate, I used almond bark to coat these. While it's the easier option, I've found sometimes it tastes pretty sweet to me. So, I tried to balance that by adding spices, dark chocolate, or coconut. I do have a tip for the candy coating. When I use this, I always have left overs. I like to use that leftover by mixing it with pureed pumpkin and/or cream cheese and some spices for a cookie "dip" - I'm still tweaking the recipe on this one, though. If you don't want to do this, let it cool in a plastic container (or in the little container it comes in if you don't get the Wilton ones). Then store in a resealable bag. It keeps for quite a while.

Hope everyone has a blessed holiday season, whatever your celebrations entail.

And, I hope everyone stays tuned if you liked this idea, I have a few surprises I'm working on with this, and I can't wait to share!

For a printable recipe, click here.

Cookie balls

For Nutella:

14-16 oz chocolate cookie crumbs (3 cups)

8 oz cream cheese

1/3 c. nutella

1/3 c. dark chocolate chips, melted and cooled (I used dark chocolate here to help control the sweetness of these)

1/3 t. salt

For Gingerbread:

14-16 oz ginger cookie crumbs (2 cups)

8 oz. cream cheese

½ c. white chocolate chips, melted and cooled

1 t. ginger

¼ t. nutmeg

1/3 t. salt

3 T. candied ginger, finely chopped

For Coconut:

14-16 oz vanilla wafer cookie crumbs (about 2 cups)

8 oz cream cheese

½ c. white chocolate chips, melted

2/3 c. coconut, finely chopped

1/3 t. salt

For Peanut Butter:

14-16 oz. peanut butter cookie crumbs

6 oz cream cheese

1 cup peanut butter chips, melted and cooled

1/3 t. salt


For all:

1 lb candy coating, such as Wilton or almond bark found in grocery stores, or 1 bag melted chocolate chips mixed with 2 t. paraffin or 1 T. shortening.

Directions:

Mix all ingredients until they are a uniform color, and no streaks of cream cheese remain. Dough should be slightly sticky. Refrigerate 1-2 hours. Form into 1 T. or larger balls. Dip in melted candy coating and decorate. I like to put a peanut on the peanut butter ones, a small piece of candied ginger on the ginger ones, and some toasted coconut on the coconut ones.

Store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment