Monday, January 16, 2012

Daring Cooks Challenge January 2012 - Tamales!


Maranda of Jolts & Jollies was our January 2012 Daring Cooks hostess with the mostess! Maranda challenged us to make traditional Mexican Tamales as our first challenge of the year!

Sigh...I don't know why I'm posting this so late. I made these over a week ago. And, they were really good! Many apologies.

While I would normally post a recipe here, instead, I encourage you to go to the daring cooks site and check out the recipe I modified. This was the first time I had made tamales with so much fat in the masa dough. And, as it turns out, I think I prefer when about 1/2 the lard has been added in. Yes, the tamales are much less soft, but I liked them better that way.

I love making tamales. The first time I made these, I remember how difficult it was tying the corn husks together with strips of other corn husks. Now, I cheat, and roll each tamale in some foil.

Since I had made tamales before, I used this opportunity to perfect my sweet tamale recipes. It's not perfect yet, so I'm not going to share it. However, I will tell you that I love the pineapple filling I made, and just have a few tweaks to the masa before I publish the recipe.

I love both sweet and savory tamales. Thank you again for such a great challenge!

1 comment:

  1. Oh these look marvellous! I just missed this challenge as I was just approved after this was announced, I was so disappointed, really would have love to have made these! Yours look so yum! Lin xx

    ReplyDelete