Monday, February 13, 2012

Chocolate Cherry Kisses


I *had* quite a few of these, arranged prettily on the red plates I bought to celebrate Chinese New Year...however...I forgot to put them away, so instead of my family eating the cupcakes I made for them, they ate the little Chocolate kisses. Ah well, there were a few left.


These are perfect little bites for your Valentine. 2 bites of delicious chocolate and cherry. Ok, ok, so this is the part of my blog I'm at a loss for words. I'm not much of a sales person, and I really don't self promote much at all. So, how do I get you to bake these immediately? Bake these immediately! They are delicious, perfect little morsels - moist, sweet, chocolately, dense, rich, with just the right touch of cherry. Really perfect.


For a .pdf of the recipe, click here. And, make your special Valentine a batch of these. What's not to love...

Cherry Chocolate kisses

Inspired by an old Hershey recipe I found for the cake. Frosting an original recipe.

For the cakes:

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup dutch processed cocoa

1 t. espresso powder

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup oil

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup boiling water

¼ cup tart cherry juice concentrate (I got some from King Arthur Flour. You can substitute frozen cherry juice concentrate here)

20-25 cherries, finely chopped (I used canned in their juice dark cherries)

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray.

In a small bowl, combine boiling water and cocoa. Stir until no lumps remain, set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Mix together until completely combined. Add salt, vanilla, espresso powder, vanilla, cherry juice concentrate, baking powder, and water/cocoa mixture. Whisk until completely combined and no light streaks remain. Alternate flour and buttermilk, mixing until combined before adding next ingredient. Fold in chopped cherries. Batter will be a bit thick.

Fill mini muffin tins with 1 tablespoon batter each. Bake 10-12 minutes until done and tops spring lightly when touched. Cool completely, then frost.

Deep Chocolate Frosting

1 lb. powdered sugar

8 oz. cream cheese, softened

½ c. cocoa

1 t. espresso powder

2 t. vanilla

2-4 T. cream

1/3 c. softened butter

Pinch salt

In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, cocoa, espresso powder, salt, and vanilla. Mix 1-3 minutes until creamy. Add cream, 1 T. at a time, beating a few minutes after each addition, until desired consistency.

1 comment:

  1. These look great Renae! I love chocolate and cherries. Possibly one of the best food combination's known to man, or at least I think so. :)

    ReplyDelete