Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Daring Baker - March 2012 - Dutch Crunch Rolls!



Yikes! I'm late posting again! Oh well, here goes!

Sara and Erica of Baking JDs were our March 2012 Daring Baker hostesses! Sara & Erica challenged us to make Dutch Crunch bread, a delicious sandwich bread with a unique, crunchy topping. Sara and Erica also challenged us to create a one of a kind sandwich with our bread!

How delicious was this challenge? Yes, I know, rhetorical question, Ina Garten Style.

I love dutch crunch bread, and this challenge was perfect for me. I was first introduced to dutch crunch rolls in Sacramento, when I was working for PW (no, not pioneer woman...). I loved these rolls - soft on the inside, and a crunchy coating on the outside. So, what a great chance to make them.

I stuck pretty close to the recipe, and I'm really glad I did. For all the variations my wonderfully talented daring bakers used, check this out. I am always awed by their amazing creativity - and their ability to put those plans into action. I think I have a lot of creativity as well, but lately haven't had the motivation to actually put those into action.

I was lucky enough to find rice flour in the bulk section of a not so far away grocery store, and it's a good thing, too. I had tried this in the past - but with home made rice flour, and with glutenous rice flour - both met with disaster. So, take it from me - don't use glutenous rice flour, it doesn't work.


The second part of the challenge, I don't have a picture for. Leave it to me to not read the directions until I'm already a few days late from posting. Ugh...this is annoying me as I speak. I *hate* *hate* being late with anything, yet lately, my motivation to be, well, myself, seems to be completely absent. I must work on it. I could blame the weather, but it's typical Pacific North West - rain, rain, rain - so that's not it.

Anyway, I made a great hamburger with these rolls. The fresh soft rolls were the perfect thing to use as a hamburger bun - I may never buy them again.

I encourage you to visit other great daring bakers, as well as download the recipe for these great rolls. Even if you don't put the crunchy coating on them - the roll recipe is definitely a keeper. It's quite a piece of art.

1 comment:

  1. Better late than never! And your rolls came out great, glad you like them. Thanks for joining us this month!

    ReplyDelete