Thursday, April 26, 2012

Coconut Oil Pie Crust


I must admit, I have been working on this post for quite a while. It took quite a few iterations to get to this point.

I've been looking for a coconut oil pie crust recipe all over. I think I have finally found one that's just as good, or better, than one made with shortening.

For those of you who don't know, the coconut oil I'm talking about is solid at room temperature, but has a completely different texture and taste as vegetable shortening. I use organic coconut oil, and I love it. It has a very mild flavor, and is barely noticeable. 


You may ask why coconut oil? Well, I think it's very nutritious, and a good addition to a balanced diet. And, since I'm always looking for ways to eat healthier without feeling deprived, I thought I would give it a try.

Now, it's not as easy as substituting coconut oil for your favorite fat. It has a much different texture, and reacts much differently than shortening, oil, or even butter. So, it does take some adjusting to your favorite recipe. One of the things you learn quickly is a little goes a long way!



I've discovered the best way to incorporate coconut oil into a pie crust is to adjust the ingredients as well as modify the technique a bit. As coconut oil gets colder, it can be a bit difficult to work with. What I've found is to start with the coconut oil room temperature, incorporate that into the dry ingredients, and then go from there.

If you use frozen, grated butter as well as ice water, the butter doesn't get warm enough to compromise your pie dough. The addition of baking powder and sugar help maintain flakiness.

And, finally, I recommend rolling this pie crust a bit thinner than you normally would. It does produce a tender crust, but can be a bit less tender than a pie crust made with butter and shortening.

For a .pdf of the recipe, click here. Hope you enjoy the crust!


Coconut Oil Pie Crust

1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. cake flour
1 t. salt
2 T. sugar
1 t. baking powder
6 oz frozen butter, shredded
1/4 c. coconut oil, at room temperature (which means it will be solid, and not liquid)
1/2 c. ice water

In a large bowl, combine flour, cake flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Stir until well combined. Add coconut oil, and mix with your hands until mixture resembles fine sand. It’s important the coconut oil is fully combined with the flour mixture to avoid oily spots in the dough.

Add frozen shredded butter to the flour mixture, and incorporate the butter into the mixture. Since the butter is shredded, just toss the two items together to make sure the butter is evenly distributed throughout the flour.

Sprinkle about ½ of the ice water over the flour, then gently start folding the mixture together. Continue adding a bit of water at a time, and stirring until dough is formed. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1-2 hours or overnight. Shape as desired, and use as normal pie crust.

1 comment:

  1. That looks great! I'm planning on making a strawberry pie and this seems like the perfect crust for it :)

    ReplyDelete