Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Spicy Cheese Spread


 Pimento Cheese Spread has always fascinated me. It's a Southern thing, and I am not southern. Before now, the only kind I tried was that stuff in a jar around Christmas. You know that stuff - it's the stuff you put in celery when you were a kid...or at least I did.

I wanted to put that out there, since this does have cheese, and pimento...but beyond that, I'm really not sure if it's even close to the Southern staple. This is a heavenly spread, so I strongly encourage you to at least try it. In my opinion, cheese and spicy peppers are a natural combination - they play off each other so well. The fatty dairy cools the fire of the peppers, so you can enjoy them. Or, at least that's what I do, since I'm a bit of a spice whimp.







Give this spread a try - even my Mom liked it...and she doesn't like Jalapeno's. And, for all the Mom's out there, Happy Mother's Day!

For a .pdf of the recipe, click here.



Spicy Cheese Spread

8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/3 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
4 oz jar diced pimento’s, drained
½ t. garlic powder
1 T. diced jalapeno
¼ c. finely diced Anaheim pepper (you can add a spicier pepper, like Jalapeno, if you want a spicier result)
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. salt
½ t. pepper


Combine all ingredients in a bowl until well mixed. Adjust seasonings to your taste. Serve with crackers, or broiled on toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment