Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rhubarb Coconut Upside Down Cake

I *love* rhubarb. Yes, it's tart, but it's got a really great taste. Hard to describe if you haven't had it. Although the flavor on its own is really good, I'm also looking for things to pair it with. I love rhubarb jam, but feel that sometimes the rhubarb taste can get lost if you make strawberry rhubarb jam.

Enter coconut milk. You know me, I always have to get out the coconut milk, right? Well, this time, it's the perfect compliment to rhubarb. Once you get past the tartness of the rhubarb, the subtle flavor can shine - and a beautiful coconut milk cake is the perfect compliment to the rhubarb topping. 


This cake was wonderful. I had to get rid of it so I wouldn't eat it all. If I could get my hands on some rhubarb starts so I can grow my own now...

For a printable recipe, click here.


Rhubarb Upside Down Cake

For the bottom of the cake:

1/4 c. butter
2/3 c. brown sugar
1 ½ cup rhubarb, thinly sliced

For the cake:

1/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter
1 1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 c. coconut milk
1 1/3 c. all purpose flour
1 t. vanilla
1 egg
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare the bottom of the cake: In a small saucepan, combine the butter and brown sugar and heat until well combined and sugar is melted, about 3 minutes. Add rhubarb. Remove from heat. Grease and flour a 9” square cake pan. This cake does like to stick, but I don’t recommend parchment. Put the rhubarb mixture on the bottom of the pan and let cool while you make the cake. This is where you can arrange the rhubarb nicely if you have the patience for it (I don’t).

For the cake: Cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, baking powder, salt, and egg. Add 1/2 of the coconut milk, followed by the flour, then the remaining coconut milk, mixing until a very smooth batter. Pour over the top of the prepared, cooled rhubarb mixture in your pan.

Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back when lightly touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let rest 5-10 minutes only, and invert over a large plate.

Serve warm. And don’t eat the entire thing…it will give you a tummy ache.

3 comments:

  1. I would never think of using rhubarb..that is so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had rhubarb. I think I will try it now. This cake looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rubarb. I never thought about growing it myself. I just buy it from the store. I may try that. I will look and see how well it grows in Va. That cake looked moist and delish. Yum!

    ReplyDelete