Friday, July 27, 2012

Ooey Gooey S'More Bars


These should come with a warning - they are highly addictive. I thought it was just me. I couldn't keep my hands out of them. Then my family came over, and they were gone in an instant. They are *that* good.

I struggled with this recipe for a while. It should really be simple. I mean, graham cereal, covered in marshmallow, topped with chocolate chips? Well, it's not that easy. Turns out, graham cereal doesn't really like to be covered in marshmallow. What I was initially expecting to be crunchy and gooey turned out to just be a soggy sweet mess.

Yes, that's right. The graham cereal turned soggy when added to marshmallow. So, I was a bit discouraged. Toasting the cereal in the oven helped a little, but not as much as you would think.


So, one day, while somewhere about 30 clicks through my original search (that I can't remember what I was looking for, actually), I came across a recipe for Momofuku's Corn Flake Crunch. This made me curious. I wasn't entirely sure about the recipe, because it seemed a little strange, but I was willing to give it a try. Not with corn flakes, with my hope of having an ooey gooey s'more bar made with those graham cereals that were sitting in my cupboard after my poor 1st attempt.

And, these babies are the result. I changed the method of baking them in the beginning. Mostly because I forgot the recipe, and couldn't find the page on search. But, I think this is a perfect result based on their inspiration. And, I can't wait to try it with Captain Crunch (stay tuned).



 For a .pdf, go here. And, beware, they will change your life (and the size of your waist).


Ooey Gooey S’More bars

1 14-16 oz box Graham cereal
6 T. butter, melted
½ c. powdered milk
2 T. sugar
40 large marshmallows, or 6 cups mini marshmallows
4 T. butter
1 c. mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 250. In a small food processor or blender, blend powdered milk and sugar until a fine powder. Combine milk mixture and graham cereal in a large bowl. Pour melted butter over the mixture, and mix until very well combined.

Place on a large cookie sheet, in a single layer. Bake 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool while you prepare marshmallows. Once cool, put in large mixing bowl, gently breaking apart any clusters of cereal that have cooled together.

Spray or butter a 13x9x2 baking pan. In a medium sauce pan, melt marshmallows and butter over medium heat, stirring constantly. After they have been melted, pour melted marshmallow mixture over cooled cereal. Mix until very well combined, and pat into 13x9x2 pan.

Let cool 10-15 minutes, and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Let set an additional 2-3 hours or overnight. Cut in small squares and enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. These look amazing. Love the giant chunks of deliciousness. Very nice. Highly addictive indeed.

    ReplyDelete