Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Dulce de Leche bars

 I have become a new convert to dulce de leche. I've discovered it's secret. Well, it's not a secret. You see, I hate sweetened condensed milk. I just don't like the way it tastes. So, all the dulce de leche I made tasted like that can.

From scratch, though, is completely different. It's also completely different if you cook the cans enough. I never did, for fear I would have exploding sugar-milk shrapnel in my kitchen. It could happen, although I know it's rather rare.


If you are a fan of caramel, or dulce de leche, you will love these bars. They have a deep milk caramel flavor, yet taste like a nice cookie bar. And, pouring more over the top is just a bonus!
For a printable recipe, click here. Enjoy!



Dulce de Leche Bars

1 cup dulce de leche, plus more for glazing (optional)
½ c. butter, softened
2/3 c. lightly packed brown sugar
1 t. vanilla
½ t. salt
2 c. flour
2 eggs
1 t. baking powder
½ t. baking soda.

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x9x2 square pan. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar, and mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, beating after each egg. Add flour and dulce de leche, and mix until batter has no flour streaks remaining. Add vanilla, salt, baking powder, and baking soda, and mix an additional minute.

Pour into 350 pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before cutting.

Serve with more dulce de leche on top, if you wish.



1 comment: