Friday, January 25, 2013

Grandma's Hot Applesauce Cake (and my revision)


I think I have finally recovered from all that Christmas Baking! Well, my waistline hasn't yet, but I only gained 2 lbs over the holidays, so I consider myself lucky.  

As you can tell from this post, I have been raiding my mom's recipe box again. I must admit here, though...I hate cooked apples. Yes, I know I live in Washington (the apple state). Yes, I know they are good for you. Still, not a fan.



This cake may have changed my mind. When I thought about this (and served it to my mom, Aunt, Uncle, and cousin), this recipe is really one of those that I could see took them back to when their mom used to make it for them. And, even though I don't care for cooked apples, I can appreciate this recipe. 

I added an upside down apple aspect to this cake because I thought it was going to be quite spicy. I was right about the spice level, and the apples added another level of richness. This cake is dense and moist, and I think it's a great representation of a sweet yet satisfying old time dessert. For my version, I added a bit of lemon juice and a touch of vanilla along with 1/2 brown sugar instead of all white sugar. 

This is some serious cake - rich and dense, so serve small pieces, preferably with ice cream.


For a printable version of the recipes, click here.



Grandma’s Hot Applesauce Cake (original)

In a saucepan, heat
2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
2 ½ cups applesauce

Until shortening melts.

Add:

2 ½ cups flour
4 teas. Baking soda
1 teas. Cinnamon
½ teas. Nutmeg
½ teas. Cloves
½ teas. Allspice

Fold in 1 pound raisins and ½ cup walnuts.

Bake at 300 50-60 minutes.


Grandma’s Applesauce cake (my revision):

For the upside down apple:

2 granny smith apples, peeled cored, and cut into 8 slices each
¼ c. butter, melted
¼ c. brown sugar

Combine butter and brown sugar, and spread evenly in a 9” cake pan. Set aside while you make the cake.

For the cake:

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
½ cup butter
1/3 cup oil
2 ½ cups applesauce
2 ½ cups flour
4 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
½ t. nutmeg
½ t. cloves
½ t. allspice
1 t. salt
1 ½ cups raisins
1 cup toasted and chopped walnuts
Juice and rind of 1 lemon
½ t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 300. In a large sauce pan, combine brown sugar, sugar, butter, oil, and applesauce. Heat until butter is melted and all ingredients are combined.

While applesauce mixture is heating, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and salt in large bowl. Add hot ingredients, vanilla and lemon. The baking soda will cause the batter to instantly rise, so please use a very large bowl. Stir mixture together until well combined. Fold in walnuts and raisins, and gently spoon over your apple mixture in the bottom of your pan.

Bake 50-60 minutes, until dark brown. Let cool 5-10 minutes, then invert over a serving dish. Be careful, the mixture on the bottom is hot and liquid. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
 



23 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I'm Ana from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog

    It's easy, fast and fun. The best Photo recipes will be here.

    I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo.

    We would love that you participate with some recipe like this.Look Amazing!

    Regards

    http://www.Fooduel.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello!

    I saw your blog and thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite you to our new culinary website which has just started.

    This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from your food blog. It's a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

    For more please visit:
    http://tastyquery.com

    TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called "Mikser Kulinarny", founded in Poland. "Mikser Kulinarny" has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

    In case of any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

    best regards

    Ania, TastyQuery.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent goods frkm you, man. I've understand yyour stuff previous to and you're just
    extremely excellent. I really like what you've acquired here, certainly like what you are sayinbg and the
    way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and
    you still care for to keep it smart. I can noot wait to read much mor from you.
    This is actually a grteat website.

    Feel free to visit my web blog: Monster Legends Hack

    ReplyDelete